Thesupertracey’s Weblog

June 21, 2008

I’m back from camp!

Filed under: Church stuff — thesupertracey @ 3:50 pm

Hello! I’m back from camp! It was a BLAST! I had some delays at the airports but got to Columbus all the same. I had dinner with my grandparents and my aunt and cousin Alison and it rained hard that night. Saturday my Aunt Connie and I left for camp around 1:30 and we got to camp at 3:30. I unloaded my stuff into the new cabin and I looked at the refurbished girl cabins and took pictures for dad seeing as neither of us have been at camp in 4 years or so. I helped set up chairs in the assembly hall and we had dinner in the mess hall and after that we had our meeting. I was the youngest councilor this year for the week I go to – the second youngest is Alex and he’s 24? something like that. I had to move from cabin 7 to cabin 3 because one of the ladies that had said she could be a councilor ended up not being able to come so I had  to take her place in that cabin. I was at camp with my second and third cousins all week and they got there on the same day I did. Saturday turned to Sunday and we had breakfast in the mess hall and then class and worship in the assembly hall. Kids started coming in around 1:30 to check in and go set up in the cabins. I greeted people but mostly hung out with my friends Isaac and Luke (they’re brothers) and with my friend Katie. Isaac isn’t old enough to be a councilor yet, but he’s going to come back as one next summer. Luke and Katie said they’d sit at my table for meals. Usually a table only has 2 councilors but mine had 3. And when you sit at your table the first time on Sunday, that’s where you eat your meals the rest of the week. Anyways, so I got to hang out with them and then Isaac went home and then I found my friends Amy and Timmy (siblings) and Courtney and Josh (siblings) and got to see them all week in the mess hall – they were hired as dish washers. We had orientation for the kids and we had dinner and we had evening games – I was one of the people in charge of that. My duties at camp were: cabin councilor, 11-13 yr. old girls teacher, concessions worker, one of team Silver’s captains, fun songs councilor, and evening games councilor. I was always on the move! My typical day was get up at 6:30, be up at the flag circle for morning devotional and flag raising and morning warm ups. Then the kids would line up at the front door to the mess hall and sing: When the roll is called up yonder I’ll be marching down the King’s highway (HIGHWAY!). Tell me the old, old story –  I love it better every-day-a-a-a-a. I will make you fishers of men if you’ll only follow me. Hallelujah! Praise the Savior! I’m from sin set, you’re from sin set, we’re all from sin set free-eee-eee HEY!   and they have to sing that till they get let inside. I go in the side door that has a sign that says Staff Entrance Only and I go and sit at my table with the other 2 councilors and then the kids come pouring in and run to their tables. We had 11 tables and I was at table 10. After breakfast we’d go back to our cabins and clean them up. The big bell is rung at 9 am to signal that its time for bible class. At 10 we have girls assembly and we get together under a shelter and sing for 20 minutes and then the bell is rung again and we go back to our class stuff. After class is over, there is free time and then lunch. They line up and sing the song again and get let in and we eat and then we go to our cabins and have rest time/skit practice. After that it is swim time and crafts and archery time. Lets say it was Monday – the boys go swimming in the pool first and the girls do crafts and/or archery. I got my first bullseye EVER and I haven’t even done archery stuff since the last time I was at camp! I helped run the concession stand when I wasn’t at archery helping and shooting. I only went to crafts once and I did swimming once. I decorated a pillow case. It has a butterfly on it and words that say “Let your dreams take flight” and a purple ribbon on it. Its cute! When I did swimming yesterday, I was climbed on a lot by the littler girls. I actually did get to swim though! After that stuff is done, we meet up at the flag circle and we split into our sports teams. I was one of the team captains for Silver. We played softball on Monday, kickball on Tuesday, we hiked Ft. Hill on Wednesday, played soccer on Thursday and then basketball instead of sand volleyball on Friday. If they had made it where we had a ranking, we would have been near the top because we tied the first time, and won the other 3 times. After sports we have some free time and then at 5 all the campers go to the assembly hall for fun songs. That lasts for a half hour and demands a lot of your voice cause you have to sing over more than 100 kids voices. No microphones. Then the kids all line up at the doors and sing to be let in for dinner and then after dinner we have a little more free time and then worship at 7 every night. After that we have evening games and I was in charge of activity stations a couple times and was also a judge for the scavenger hunt. For that we have the kids split in half and they bring a bunch of random items up to the mess hall and in the middle is the table that each team’s runners have to race the items up to. So I was at the table that the runners take stuff to and I was nearly run in to several times by the beast of a man named Josh. Over all it was a good game. After those games are done, we go waaaaay out in the field to the fire circle and have our evening devotional and then we go back to the cabins. Bed is SUPPOSED to be at 9:45 but the usual time we’d all be asleep was somewhere between 11 and 1. There were a couple girls that wouldn’t be able to fall asleep till late. On Thursday nights, in stead of having evening games, we have skit night and each cabin does a skit. We even had a couple of boys do a duet on their guitars, I was also in the councilor’s skit – we sang a song about the manager of our week to the tune of Jesus Loves Me, and the kitchen staff did a skit too. I was the star of my cabin’s skit – I did a song from the show Phantom called “This Place is Mine” and it would be Carlotta that sings it – its a fun song. What we did with it was we pretended the stage was our cabin and we were going in to clean it and I pick up a sheet and a belt (it was actually my friend Luke’s baseball belt) and I wear it like a toga and I sing the song and they’re cleaning and they try to get me to help them but I just won’t stop singing. So then they all crowd around me and we go back stage and bang on the walls and then I run our and finish the song with the last words “this place is mine!” and its a long high note at the end so they cover their ears and drop to the floor. And Friday nights we don’t have evening games either. After fun songs we go out to the fire circle and have the annual hot dog roast – and for some odd reason the girls more often ask the guys to be their “date”. I asked my friend Isaac, who is the Luke I mentioned above’s older brother, and he said yes. We only went as friends mom. Just wanted to let you know. He cooked my hot dog for me seeing as whenever I tried to do it before it seemed to fall off my stick. While our hot dogs were cooking, I went back to the cabin and got my camera – 3 of my friends from camp 4 years ago were there that night and I wasn’t going to let them get by without me getting pictures with them. Then after that we went to worship and I sat between Isaac and my friend Michael. The two of them wanted to stay for fire circle, but Michael’s dad didn’t want to stay that late and so they didn’t stay for fire circle. After fire circle I ran back to the cabin and then over to the bathroom and was one of a few people that got the first hot showers of the night. It had rained while I was in the shower too, so I didn’t get wet walking back to my cabin. I’m not going to even mention anything about what kind of drama we had in the cabin. My girls ranged from 10 to 14 or something like that. They were hard to get out of bed this morning, I’ll tell you that much. We got everything out, swept it, mopped it and had breakfast and were on the road back to my grandparent’s house by at least 8:30. Got in around 10:30 this morning and I listened to voicemails and read text messages and called home and talked to mom and dad a while. I’ve got a small cold and I have most of my voice back now. I should go upstairs and see what I can do to help with dinner. Gramma says I have a lunch date with her. There’s a possibility that my cousin Alison might be joining us. Sorry for all of the words! There are over 1,750. I looked at the word count. Hopefully I’ll be able to see more of my camp friends of old at church tomorrow – if we go to the right one that is. Ta ta now!

Super Tracey


1 Comment »

  1. Wow! Thanks for the timeline. I’m grateful for Open Doors ministry and what they’ve done in the past and continue to do. It’s so great to see how God’s hands has guided this ministry to bless and encourage others. I’m excited to see what legacy it will leave behind the next 50 years. Thank you for all you do!!!

    Comment by Bible Study Timeline — July 27, 2008 @ 8:32 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: